Living in the imperfection.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

GARDEN ART
Necessary Imperfection for the Restless Soul
 
Apparently re-purposing is the new fad.  I had no clue.  I regularly use my old crap to make new things and my project for today was no exception.  I love to sit outside in my yellow adirondack chair and dream.  I regularly practice pretending and go on adventures to fictional locales.  I've traveled the world sitting in my chair.  
 
One of my most favorite things is the hodge-podge garden refuge I created in my backyard.  I sit in my chair and pretend that I have a luscious garden that feeds an entire community.  I am not a master gardener.  Not even close.  However, I love the wilderness I have created and now am enjoying sassing it up with homemade projects.  Primarily because I cannot keep spending money planting things.  I don't have a ton of planting space.  Why not make my garden even more me but putting a bunch of stuff in it?
 
 Today's project is making "Garden Art" from your old stuff.  This whole venture took about 20 minutes.  I tend to get creative ideas and then just start moving.  I don't plan...sometimes to my detriment but more to my pleasure.  This creation was no different.  I have several old window frames living against the walls of my house so I decided I should paint one.  No real reason to do so apart from my baby is asleep and I need to make something. 
 
What you need:  An old window frame (or picture frame, mirror, etc.), Painter's tape, plastic bags (who doesn't accidentally leave their reusable grocery bags in the car and return home with too many plastic ones instead), spray paint, nails, and a hammer.
 
Step 1:  Tape Your Frame
 
 It doesn't have to be perfect.  Don't freak out.

Step 2:  Remember that you don't want to get paint on the glass panes after you've already taped the frame so scrape something together to fix the problem.  Enter plastic bags.
Plastic Bags and Tape
 





Step 3:  Spray paint (it doesn't have to be a work of art people).  As you can see, I started painting before I applied the plastic bags and I forgot to remove some of the excess painters tape so the frame isn't evenly coated. 
Red is my favorite color

Step 4:  Hang the frame.  Remember to keep it crooked as an homage to reality.  Perfection in not the goal but rather a life well lived.
Hang the frame.  Let it stay lopsided.


No comments:

Post a Comment