Living in the imperfection.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Shall We Soap?

I adore smell goods.  My three favorite places are the Indian River Soap Company, visit them at Indian River Soap Company , Michaels craft store, and Home Depot, homedepot.com.  My mind literally explodes with possibilities every time I walk into these places.  My wallet and husband do too. This post has nothing to do with Home Depot by the way.  I just thought you might like to know where you can buy my presents.   I might be on a first name basis with the folks who run the garden center at the HD; I'm just sayin. Today's project involves making your own glycerin soap.  Before you scoff, let me assure you it is super easy.  I just the good ole "Melt and Pour" method.  Here are some links to pages that will assist you in this endeavor:
Handmade Glycerin Soap

Lavender Rosemary Recipe from Herb Companion

 What You'll Need:
  1. Glycerin Soap Base
  2. Essential Oils
  3. Herbs from your garden to make a tea infusion (not necessary but super fun to include)
  4. Soap Molds

Step 1:  Buy a chunk of glycerin soap.
I buy mine at Michaels but there are tons of online outlets from which you can choose.
I prefer glycerin because it is easy and very moisturizing.  I like knowing that what I am putting on my skin is simple and love knowing that I actually made it.

Step 2:  Purchase some essential oils.
I really like the NOW brand of essential oils Now Foods.
I purchase my oils at my local health foods store, Paradise Health.  You want to make sure you are getting the highest quality ingredients and although you may pay more I believe it is worth the money.  These oils are highly potent and long lasting.

Step 3.  Pick some herbs from your garden
Lemon Verbana, Rosemary, French Lavender
Don't freak out if you don't have a garden...yet.  You can purchase lots of fresh herbs right from your grocery store.  I particularly enjoy using Lemon Verbana, Rosemary, Lavender, and Peppermint while concocting my soaps.  The types of herbs and oils you use will be entirely dependent on your preference.  See how great this is.  An adventure in which you get to be the sole creator and consumer. 

Step 4:  Get yourself some soap molds
Honestly, my favorite thing to use is a washed out coffee creamer carton.  My nifty sis-in-law Leigh told me this trick.  I love the size of the soap that comes out.  However, if you want to make a marbled looking soap you can't use this.  You'll want to purchase some kind of mold.  Be creative!!  Your soap doesn't have to look like soap.  It can be whatever you want it to be.

The Soap Making Process:

Step 1:  Begin your herb infusion (if you are using fresh herbs)
Rosemary Lavender Infusion and Lemon Verbana Infusion

To make an infusion, put your herbs in a container that will safely hold boiling water.  Boil some water.
Pour about 1 Cup of water over the herbs and let them steep for 10 minutes or so.  Enjoy the smells wafting from your counter top while you move on to the next step.
Step 2:  Melt the glycerin down

You'll want to determine just how much soap to make before you melt it down.  I like using 16oz, roughly half a carton, because it fits nicely in my creamer cartons.  Using a microwave safe container, put your glycerin chunks in and melt down in increments of 40 seconds. 







Step 3:  Pour the water from the tea infusion into the melted glycerin and add your essential oil/oils.
Lots of recipes have exact measurements for this.  I don't.  I just dump the oils in until there is a freakishly strong scent emanating from them.  I like to be bombarded by smells.  This is your call.  Whatever you feel like, do.  Isn't it nice to have permission to do whatever you want.  You are welcome!

Step 4:   Pour the mixture into your carton or mold.  Let cool.  I like to put mine in the fridge to speed up the process.  This only takes about 30 minutes or so.  Then I take the hardened soaps and put them in the freezer for a few minutes to help get them out of the molds.

Soap 
















Step 5:  Take a bath and congratulate yourself on how awesome you smell.

Step 6:  Give some away.  You'll have more soap than you can possibly use so why not make someone else smell good too?

Happiness to Share


4 comments:

  1. Great post! You do have to be careful though when using essential oils. Some are skin irritants so you don't want to use too much or you will have a soap that irritates your skin. If you are using them in soaps that children will use you have to be even more careful. Just be sure to read up on the oils you use to make sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are my first responder!!!! Yea!!! Very true about the essential oils. I didn't give as much info as I've learned any maybe I should modify the post. Thanks for your knowledge. You will forever be the soap queen.

      Delete
    2. Lovin the soap blog. Anyone know how to keep the herbs evenly distributed in the soap? Thanks

      Delete
  2. how do you make your marbled soap?

    ReplyDelete