Living in the imperfection.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Organic Revelation

Today I was making food for the loin fruit.  Dicing, chopping, and boiling away.  Then came my least favorite part:  peeling.  I do not peel most things I give him but I do peel apples.  It isn't like this is a difficult task.  I just don't enjoy it.  I often find my mind wandering as I peel and here are a few thoughts from today:

  •   I wish I could have an apple tree in my backyard
  •  Wouldn't it be cool to be able to peel an apple with one long fluid stroke of a knife.  This led me to the Wild West and a man with a big mustache and a leather outfit.  Not the trashy kind.  But rugged and made from the skin of a cow that he, the cowboy, killed and then used every part of for food, clothing, and shelter.  This led me to the big knife must wear on his person so that he can peel said apple.
  • I want a knife solely for the purpose of peeling apples.
The apples I was using to make apple sauce for the loin fruit were organic.  They weren't pretty.  In  fact, visually compared to other apples you probably wouldn't choose them.  They weren't shiny.  The weren't excessively large.  They were quiet and still.  They didn't scream.  That's when the next thought came to me. The thought that stayed with me more than the cowboy knife apple excursion was this:

People are a lot like produce.

Some people are like produce grown with pesticides.  
They look really beautiful.  They have shiny exteriors.  They are coated in wax to protect themselves.
You'd pick them out of a crowd.  And you wouldn't ever get to know them.
But they aren't real.

Others are like fruits and vegetables grown organically. 
They soak up whats given to them and gift us with their reality.  
They don't sparkle in the traditional sense.  They are raw and mushy.
You might think they look different.
But they are real.

Don't mistake this as any sort of judgement on any type of person.  My observation showed me that I'd rather be like those organic apples than the pretty ones I always buy in the store.  I would choose these because I know what's in them.  There isn't any guesswork.  I don't have to pretend.  I would rather be that than the alternative.  Hiding behind a sparkly exterior because I don't know what's really going on inside of me.

I still like sparkly apples.

But it takes courage to be raw and mushy. 

To all you mushy folks out there.  I hold my cowboy knife high and salute you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment