Living in the imperfection.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Self Challenge

After a thought provoking conversation with Dr. P and a relaxing weekend in the Keys, I have decided that I am going to declare myself a writer...this is huge folks.  In case you did not know, I've spent the better part of the last 3 years thinking about writing.  I've taken several classes and done lots of research.  Oh how I love research.  Research allows your academic self to kick into overdrive without actually committing to anything. 

I am sick of the nothing.

By God, I am a writer.  I believe I was created to create.  I have done so for as long as I can remember in varying capacities.  I have seen my plays be performed.  I've been published in academic journals (fun fact, I have a very academic side).  Now I want to move forward and be published in magazines and eventually see my middle grade fiction novel come to life.

I write my blog as practice.  Dr. P says that perhaps my blog is a way to avoid taking the step towards publication by putting my work out there for people to see and judge.  I want to deny this but the fact is it is true.  I am afraid of failure.  The sure fire way to avoid rejection is to keep your ideas locked in a closet.  I don't want to stay in the closet anymore.

I am tired of practicing my life.  I want to live it.

So I am putting it out there:  I AM A WRITER. 

I will still keep writing in this blog because it is helping me develop discipline.  The stakes are low but they do exist.  So now we come to the SELF-CHALLENGE portion of the discussion.  I have several ideas to write about over the next week and I am going to do so.  Everyday.  Sunday, today, until next Sunday I will be writing.  Don't expect your mind to be blown.  This is a practice in diligence for me and hopefully a way to stay connected to people as well.  I have learned that I am not good at connecting.  I am sorry.  Honest words on a page come easier for me than face to face ones.  Hopefully I will get there.  Until then, here we are.

See you Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment