Living in the imperfection.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Moment #5

Moment #5: Stiches

March 7th, a day that will forever more live in infamy.  Yep...the Loin Fruit had his first trip to the ER this past Thursday.  In all honesty I am surprised it took that long.  The Loin Fruit is a madman.  Madman I tell you.  He is not, however, destructive.  For his size and speed and the voraciousness with which he attacks all things he is very gentle.  The Fruit has never seen a piece of trash that did not need to be lovingly carried home to its eternal resting place in the trash can.  He caresses our dog with loving finesse.  

But he runs with abandon.

Loves with his entire being.

And does nothing halfway.

Which is why we ended up in the emergency room.

I make stitches look good!

He handled the whole thing like a champ.  In fact, you wouldn't have known he was hurt if you weren't  looking at him.  While waiting for the doctor, he played and laughed and decided that the bed pans (sterile and never used) hiding in plain site in our room were meant to be played with (because who doesn't think kidney bean shaped objects aren't fun?).  He pushed buttons on the bed and opened and closed the door and laughed.  We read books and snuggled and played with sunglasses and drank water and ate animal crackers.  It was almost like we were home.  Except we weren't.

I will spare you all the details of the procedure itself.  Standard stuff I expect.  I can tell you that I have never hurt like that though.  I held his head and said his name just so he would know he wasn't alone.  I  felt my eyes burn with tears but didn't cry because I did not want to scare him.  But it hurt.  

Love hurts.  

The love I feel for the Fruit is so complex that it simultaneously fills me with a joy unlike anything I have ever experienced and a pain that is tangible.  

I would have gladly taken his fear and pain in that moment.  But I could not.  What I could do was let him know he was not alone.  So I did.


...still taking pictures?

The Loin Fruit is doing just fine.  I am quite certain he forgot about the whole thing by the time we were in the parking lot.  

1 comment: