Living in the imperfection.

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Christmas Wreath Completion


Christmas Wreath Goodness Part 2: Completion

The Finished Product



It is finished!  I'm very pleased with the results although I've begun another one and Hot Papa, the husband, informed me this morning that he likes the new one better...oh well.  Second time's a charm right?

So here's the rest of the steps for completion.  When last we met, the wreath looked like this:
Glitter Ball Bombed Letter Goodness
I must admit trying to figure out how to get the letter attached to the frame was quite a conundrum for me.  I ended up threading a stout needle with fishing line and then using a hammer to push it through.  Sounds a little white-trash-like but when crafting at the Maleski household you do whats you got to do.  So I did.  Here's what you'll need to get your glitter bombed letter affixed to your frame:


Beads, Letter (back of it), tape measurer, needle,
clear thread, a hammer (not pictured because I forgot to...oops)
From the above pic, you can see that I've already gotten one side completed.  To make sure my beads on the completed side didn't slide off, I used some duck tape and adhered it to the back.  White-trash-like:  keep it real and practical.

My helpful hammer
Now, you may be asking yourself, "Lauren, just how do I make my glitter-tastic letter float inside my frame?"  Here's how.  Take a stout needle, I'm not sure what gauge it was but it was big.  I threaded it with some fishing line.  I tried to push it through myself but I couldn't so I grabbed a hammer and that did the trick.  By placing the needle on the letter and tapping it partially through, I was able to ensure that the needle would come out the other side (so I wouldn't have a needle living inside of my letter)









Below you'll see the threaded needle, not lost forever inside of my letter.  Tie the loose end on the backside of the letter with several knots to make sure your thread doesn't pull through.  That would be no good!

What you'll get 

I hate measuring.  That's why I'm not a good cook and Hot Papa doesn't like for me to hang pictures.  I prefer to free flow things but in the end there's nothing wrong with a little structure.  To make sure that my letter hung evenly, I measured the frame and then decided where I needed to nail the nails into the backside.  I slammed a couple of nails in after that.


Exactly the same distance from both corners

The last thing to do was string beads onto the fishing line.  That was just a personal preference thing for me.  I kind of wish I hadn't done it and left the allusion of a free floating letter but once I had completed the project I didn't want to go back.  Below you can see the finished product.

Lauren is crafty

So now my monogram lives on my front door.  I'm happy with it.  This project is super easy but does take a little time.  I glued the balls at a snails pace while I watched TV at night.  If I had sat down and done it in one swoop it would have only taken a couple of hours at most.  But I didn't.  I took my time.   

If you are interested in this project check out the first blog post:  Christmas Wreath Goodness for the beginning stages.  Also, I can totally make you one of your own.  But you will have to pay me.  Not a lot.  But something.

No comments:

Post a Comment