Living in the imperfection.

Monday, January 14, 2013

To the Farm

Have you ever taken the time to think about where your food comes from?  Not where you purchase your victuals but where they are born, how they live, how they are grown and nurtured, how they die, how they are transported, how they are treated?  I suppose I have had some awareness on this topic for quite some time but recently it has been living in the forefront of my mind.  I often think about places where there are no options.  I know I do not live in one of those but how can my daily living impact the lives of others within my community and outside of it.  My own garden has taught me so much about caring for something else.  My own child has taught me more on the topic than any other singular thing.  You might be thinking, "but it is just food."  Indeed, it is just food.  The one thing that we all need to survive and so greatly impacts our health and environment.  So on the one hand it is "just food" but on the other it is so much more. 

I recently joined a CSA (community supported agriculture) organization here in Melbourne called Florida Fields to Forks.  It is a wondrous thing I tell you, wondrous.  I have become increasingly interested in producing my own food and since I live on a plot of land the size of a postage stamp I am painfully aware that I cannot do this all on my own.  Those of you who follow my blog know all about my garden and the joy it brings me.  Florida Fields to Forks is a natural extension of my homesteading love and I am so glad I found it.

I felt like Liz Lemon, "I want to go to there."  I want to go to there, the farm, and live forever.  I really do.  I often feel like a restless wanderer and have come to accept this fact but when I am at the farm I feel like I am home.

The owners are Jan Pence and Brock Hall, a delightful mother son team.  I do not know either of them well but I do hope that changes over the course of my interaction with them on my visits to the farm.  What is so great about a CSA is that it is financially supported from within by its members.  A one time fee of $35.00 grants you membership into the organization and from there you can order glorious organic grass fed meats, raw milk, cheeses, eggs, nuts, and crazy fun produce.  I wholeheartedly believe this is the best $35.00 I have spent in quite some time.  Produce orders need to be submitted ahead of time and are picked up on Thursday.  My first order was two weeks ago and I am hooked.  

My first Pick-up
The Loin Fruit and I made our way to the farm on Thursday and this array of vegetation was on display in all its glory.  Seriously people, I teared up.  I know that sounds super melodramatic but it is the God's honest truth.  They probably thought I was crazy.  Here is what we drove up to:

The Stables

We parked and walked up to the stables where you go to pick up your order.  First off, it is beautiful.  Like, "I live in the country and wear aprons while I churn my own butter in the sunny 60 degree weather," type beautiful.  My soul started singing immediately.  I felt connected to this place.  It was like all my inner yearnings became manifest in this one location.

After we picked up our order, the Fruit and I did some exploring.  Have I mentioned that on pick-up days it is "open farm."  You can wander around and see the animals.  I die.  

Checking out the view

Testing the Tractor

Field of Dreams

We had a great time exploring and I have deemed every Thursday "To the Farm" day.  I think I need these visits for the nurturing of my soul and I want the Fruit to know what open expanses of land look like.  I want him to know horses and cows and pigs and chickens.  I want him to be connected to the land.  I want that for myself too.  

If you have any questions about the Farm please ask me.  Visit the links I have set up to find out more about Florida Fields to Forks.  You won't regret it.

Happy Eating All.











No comments:

Post a Comment