Living in the imperfection.

Saturday, January 5, 2013

From Junk to Joy


From This to That

So we have a small one drawer contraption thingy that has been sitting in our bathroom for years holding various odds and ends.  Basically, it is a bathroom junk drawer.  I bought it for $10 at an antique shop quite a while ago and it has always been black.  Here's the thing:  I love to think about being crafty but I don't necessarily enjoy the process.  I definitely don't think scrapping paint is fun but it is a necessity, at least for this project, and had to be done.

Said Black Drawer Thingy

I decided that I would try and strip the paint and then put my own spin on things.  There are a few things you will need before you begin making your visions reality.

1.  Paint Stripper
2.  Rubber Gloves
3.  Metal Bowl
4.  Paint Brush
5.  Drop Cloth
6.  Lots of freakin patience

Step 1:  Gather Your Supplies
Stripping agent, metal bowl, brush

Don't forget your rubber gloves you sexy beast


  **ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wear protective gloves.  This stuff can be nasty and you don't want it infiltrating your skin.  Protective gloves aren't sexy.  That's okay.  You are still a diva.

Step 2:  Apply Stripping Agent
-Be sure to read the instructions on the back of your stripping agent.  This will tell you how long you can expect to wait before the paint can be successfully removed.  Citristrip, the brand I used, was ready to go in 30 minutes but I found that waiting about an hour was actually better for this project.




Step 3:  Using a metal or plastic scrapper, gently scrape away the paint.  I tend to try and get a workout in at every possible opportunity and this mantra certainly applied to my sanding experience.  I made my shoulders needlessly sore scrapping the paint.  Trust me, this isn't the best way to go with this.  Gentle and slow really does work best.  The harder your scrape and the more force you use the more likely you are to get sore and damage the wood.

Sand Paper Fun

Step 4:  Sand.  I hate sand paper.  I hate the way it feels.  I hate the way it sounds scraping flesh away.  I hate the sensation of holding it.  However, it is necessary if you want a smooth surface to work your magic.  Come on, you've come this far so why not finish in regal style.  If any of you are ardent sand paper haters like myself, I found that sticking out my tongue while sanding seemed to help.  Don't know why? 

Step 5:  Paint.  This is the fun part.  This is what you've been waiting for.  This is when you get to see your ideas come to life.  I suggest using a paint and primer in one.  I used Behr Paint and Primer and was impressed.  I also figured out that I probably didn't need to do all the stripping beforehand because the primer in the paint covered the interior area that I wasn't able to apply the stripping agent to.  Oh well, I learned something in the process.

2 Coats of Paint

Step 6:  To be Continued.  I'm almost done with the project.  My next step is to use the dreaded sand paper once more and distress the edges of the piece.  I'm going for a coastal-worn look.  I'll be sure and post pics when I'm done.

I finally finished the project.  I roughed up the edges using sand paper until I liked the look.  Here it is:


No comments:

Post a Comment