Living in the imperfection.

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Day 3

Sad Face Banana
So Day 2 of the Writing Challenge = I got nothing for ya...but a picture.  I'm pretty sure I had good intentions yesterday but never got around to doing anything.

Day 3:
Today I didn't write but I've been doing more research on clocks and watches.  I have been reading books on the subject of Horology...get your mind out of the gutter.  Horology is actually the science of measuring time and also the art of making time pieces.  I may be delving much deeper into the art of making clocks and watches then necessary for the audience I am writing for but I don't care.  I think it is necessary to have an in-depth understanding of what you are writing about even if you don't go that far within the story.  The problem is I am still so confused.  Here's a few words that have been running through my mind:  escapement, gilded, verge, pillar, spring and balance, etc.  These aren't complicated words on their own but in the context of watches and clocks they are immensely important.  They are the essence of a watch and I still don't get it.  I feel like I keep reading the same things over and over and I'm not there yet.

I thought I would introduce you to the main characters, thus far, in the Time Keeper book.

Lynley Adara - you met our protagonist a few days ago.  She is a teenage girl but has been forced to be her father's keeper and, therefore, does not live the life of someone her age.  She is something of an old soul and it suits her.  She isn't ashamed of who she is nor who she isn't.  She is carrying a burden she should never have been given but does it with grace.

Aidan Adara - Lynley's father.  Aidan is a history teacher.  He works at the local college and is the quintessential scatter brained professor.  His office is stacked high with papers and should you ever visit there is only a singular narrow pathway to his desk and the one empty chair in the room.  His life at home is no different apart from no papers.  He collects records.  He sits in his worn leather recliner and disappears into the music.  He is anachronistic.  He should belong in this day and age but something is holding him back.

Dr. Elias Dower - Dr. Dower is the owner and proprietor of a clock shop.  Keenly aware that he is a genius in a rapidly fading art, he manages to keep his store open because of the likes of Lynley and her father.  There will always be the old souls, the ones who want to know why and how.  Elias is a keeper of secrets but he does not hide.

So there they are.  Somehow their lives are intertwined.  Somehow the mystery of time and the sadness of survival coincide.  I'm working on the plot now more than ever.  I keep having flashes of what will happen but I am struggling with how to put the pieces together.  I guess that's why I'm writing here on my blog rather than my book right now.  Somehow it feels safer to experiment here than on the blank pages of the book.  This needs to change.

ps.  I love watches.

No comments:

Post a Comment