Living in the imperfection.

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Writing Challenge

So here it goes...I have been working on a book for over 2 years now.  At this point in the process, I am about 3 chapters in.  Abysmal.  I should be much further along but I keep having so many different ideas that I cannot seem to focus on sitting down and actually writing them.  This past week I made some progress in that department though.  I decided, "what the heck...who cares if I don't know where this is going.  who cares if I have to go back an fill-in, edit, shift, or change things."  This something I have known in my head for a very long time but it finally made its way to my heart.  So I'm actively writing everyday now.  Not much but enough to keep myself in motion without experiencing a meltdown.


My book is about time....Time Keeper is the tentative title.

I decided this morning that maybe I could benefit from some accountability.  Therefore I have created a 30 day challenge for myself.  For 30 days straight I will write in my book and I will discuss it here.  Not that I have a wealth of readers but if someone is out there (aka my mom) who reads this thing consistently that's enough.

30 Day Challenge


Day 1:
I am revising the chapters I've completed thus far into first person.  I don't know that I will keep this voice
but for now it is helping me to get to know my protagonist more.  Her name is Lynley Adara.  She is 15 years old.  She works in a clock shop.  Changing the voice of the book from third to first person has opened up some things for me.  I can always go back and change things but this is working for me now.  I may even do a chapter by chapter voice switch up.  I haven't decided yet.   

ps.  This isn't some teenage paranormal romance just in case you were wondering.

pss.  I'm also working on a middle grade fiction book.  Oscar Jenkins is the main character in this one.  Weird things are happening to him and the lunch ladies at his school just might be the reason why.

psss.  I'm also creating another character:  Levita Wind Wilder.  She loves words.  Unfortunately, she doesn't know when to be quiet and that gets her into trouble.

pssss.  Then there is my older aged persona Darby Rhodes.  She wear purple linen outfits, has crazy long gray hair, rides a beach cruiser with a basket and a bell and has pen pals across space and time.  The Mr. Rogers foundation was interested in this a few years ago to no avail.  I'm still working on her and by that I mean working on me.

2 comments: